And I am passionate about travel. I truly believe that the two are completely bound together. Hello, welcome to Amble On Tours. I am Deirdre Magner, owner and licensed guide.
From the very first time I crossed the Atlantic Ocean from the U.S. at the tender age of four in a propeller plane that had to stop at Gander, Newfoundland in Canada because it couldn’t make it all the way to Ireland without refueling, I have had itchy feet. I think I got it from my mother.
Mission and Promise
Have you ever returned from a holiday feeling like you need another one? Stressed, exhausted, just anxious to get home?
Ugh. There is nothing worse.
I design my small group tours so that that will not happen. A limit of 16 people makes the group large enough to be interesting and fun, yet intimate enough that each guest receives personal attention.
Imagine this. You are collected upon arrival and chauffeured to your destination in a comfortable, roomy vehicle. After an opportunity to rest you gather with the other members of your group and spend a little time getting to know one another before dinner. Days contain a balanced mix of touring/sightseeing and free time for shopping, relaxing or exploring. Optional activities are available on every tour. Your flights, transportation, hotel reservations are pre-arranged so that you and your traveling companions can relax and enjoy yourselves.
I will help you realize your travel dreams
Since 2001 I’ve been organizing groups and tours for my students. In 2011 I became a licensed guide and began designing my own adult tours. If you are like me, you have no interest in being herded from place to place. You want upscale, authentic, accommodations with excellent service and amenities. You want guides who are both personable and knowledgeable. You seek a trip where you will certainly see the highlights, but that will provide more than just what appears in the guidebooks. That is the kind of memorable, once-in-a-lifetime trip I arrange.
On every tour there are optional activities that you can choose to do or not.
My tours are the perfect blend of education, relaxation and fun.
What the guests have said
– Our driver gets five stars! (Lorraine L.)
– Our guide, Deirdre, was so knowledgeable about the area and filled us in on cool facts. It was a great way to sneak in some history to the kids. I would definitely recommend this tour! (Nancy S.)
– Is it possible to rate [the driver] higher than 5? Michael was fabulous and having both Michael and Deirdre was a delight! (Julie B.)
– I loved the turf cutting demonstration and the cottage tour. (Lorraine L.)
– What an amazing trip! We saw and did so much and at the end of the week I was worn out, but I wouldn’t trade it for [any] other way. You did a great job with putting it all together and keeping us entertained. (Martha B.)
– (regarding the Foynes Flying Boat Museum) Didn’t expect to like this, but it turned out to be a fabulous stop; very interesting and just about the right size not to be overwhelming. (Julie B.)
– We are only back a week and my husband is already planning where he wants to go next. (Cathy B.)
Don’t just dream it…Do it!
Space is limited on tours for 2014. Contact me now to receive information on how you can make your travel dreams a reality.
The Personal Stuff
Apparently, although I don’t remember it, my first words were spoken in French. My mother had answered an ad for teachers and so my parents left Ireland for Canada. We were living in Quebec and my playmates were French speaking – so I was as well. Unfortunately, I don’t speak French now. We came to the States when I was 2 and all the French was lost. However, language always did come easily to me and I do speak Spanish rather well. After studying in Madrid while at University, I have traveled to Europe, especially Spain and Central America with students on more than 15 occasions since 2001. . From working with tour operators, tour directors and guides, I’ve developed a good sense of what works and what doesn’t.
All told, I’ve made more than 30 round trip Atlantic crossings. The vast majority have been to Ireland to visit family: weddings, funerals and holidays. Beginning in 2007, I designed and developed the Spain Summer Immersion program in Madrid. It filled a need for high school language students who wished to improve their language skills by studying and living an immersion experience. In 2010, after having lived for 28 years in Connecticut, I returned to Maryland and became a licensed Washington, D.C. tourist guide.
I have been a traveler for most of my life and an educator for more than sixteen years. I have one son, a golden retriever and a cat. I organize a few highly specialized trips per year, do lots of local tours and write a blog.
“The journey, not the arrival, matters.”